Tim Styles and the St Austell and Newquay Lib Dems have launched a five-point campaign to help tackle plastic waste in our seas.
Our oceans are under threat. Plastic is having a devastating effect on our seas and destroying marine life. A horrific 8 million tonnes of plastic are dumped into the ocean every year.
The Government must act now to stop the excessive use of plastic which ends up in our waters and poisons or suffocates precious sea creatures.
The Lib Dems are calling on Michael Gove to:
• Commit to a Plastic-Free Charter to eradicate unnecessary plastic waste from government Departments and set an example to businesses and consumers.
• Tackle our throw-away culture by providing incentives for reuse and recycling, including a plastic bottle return scheme and a 5p charge on disposable coffee cups.
• Encourage businesses to reduce plastic packaging and introduce plastic free aisles in supermarkets.
• Work closely with other countries to find global solutions to tackle the crisis of ocean pollution.
• Invest in research and development into non-plastic alternative materials which are cost effective and sustainable in the long-term.
Lib Dem parliamentary candidate said, “The time for talk is passed. The Tories have let us and the planet down time after time when it comes to tackling climate change and cleaning up our oceans. Its time for the next Tory leader to step up and really commit to helping our environment. I won’t hold my breath!"